Friday, May 10, 2013

Emotional Investment: CANNOT DO



Guys.


This writing thing, it’s my whole life and all, but, man, it does get in the way of watching some awesome television.


I’ve now had a bunch of friends tells me, “OMYGODINHEAVENABOVE you must watch Sherlock! You bloody well must!

These are folks who I know share my taste in movies and TV, so I do not doubt the awesomeness at all, but I just … not right now. I find that when I’m deep in the middle of a first draft, I’m so emotionally spent by day’s end, I cannot invest any time or energy in getting up to speed on a new show and can hardly keep up with the ones I do follow.


PLUS. There’s the betrayal thing. You know what I’m talking about. 

Let’s take for example, that freaking Downtown Abbey Season 3 finale. At the end of the episode, I stared at the screen for a moment, with this expression of ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!  Then I slapped my thighs and said to no one in particular, “Alrighty then, that’s the end of me watching that show.”


Writing first drafts drains me utterly. I feel like I'm doing push-ups all day while listening to audio transcripts from war crime tribunals. With opera as a soundtrack. The ups! The downs! The torment! The heavy lifting!  I just cannot invest in any new fandom right now. Maybe I’ll play catch up over the summer, go on a TV bender, and finally be able to stop avoiding all spoilers, but for the moment, it’s all cooking shows and re-reading familiar books. I need some comfort after thrashing the keys all day.


Is there anything you avoid while you’re drafting?