Monday, April 29, 2013

Use Your Words, Please


I don’t get Tumblr. I really don’t.

Not to get all Grumpy Old Man about it, but I don’t see the appeal.

Maybe it’s that I’m not all that into GIFs. I don't know. But the fact is, for writers, I kinda feel like GIFs are cheating.

Yes, yes, I know there’s that whole “a picture’s worth a thousand words” thing, but we're wordsmiths. Using GIFs as short-cut explanations for your mood/thoughts/yearnings is espousing a medium of communication that eliminates the very thing you produce. It’s like, I don’t know, a whaler not using whale oil for his own lamps or something. Crazy!


Aye, you go ahead and use that kerosene, young man!
Who needs this smelly oil that I’ve wrung 
from the blubber of the sea beast with my own gnarled and briny hands?

Am I right?

Please feel free to persuade me to fall in love with Tumblr.