Monday, May 3, 2010

Now It Can Be Told

I’m not going to keep you waiting one more second.

Here’s my big announcement: I AM AGENTED!

Yes, that's right. This past Friday I signed with Molly Jaffa at Folio Literary Management.

As I write this, I sincerely believe that I have sobered up from my weekend champagne binge. But perhaps a breathalyzer test would prove me a liar. (Hi, Dad!*)

I know you guys know exactly how awesome this is. I mean, seriously. We all work for years to get to this moment, and I will not even attempt to put into words my sense of gratitude, relief, and joy.

You know what the greatest thing about this is though? I can now come out of the closet as a writer. I can tell people what I do. You know what I'm talking about. People ask you what you do for a living, and you tell them "I inseminate cows" or whatever your day job is. But really, that's not what your real passion is. You're a writer, but you feel you can't admit that publicly.

I have the added complication of being a SAHM. It's a noble profession, but despite all the lip service to the contrary, people do wonder about you. Or, at least, they assume things about you and your ambitions, specifically that you must not have any.

My youngest daughter will be starting kindergarten in the fall and of late I’ve been fielding that, “So what are you going to do with all your time?” question. Up until now, I have been using my tried and true response, “I'm looking forward to spending more time on my beloved pastime, parkour.” And that usually sends them packing, scratching their heads, which is exactly what they deserve.

But now! Ha. Now they're going to get an earful of self-promoting blather.

Am I nervous about the next set of hurdles that need to be gotten over? The not-insignificant “finding a publisher” hurdle? Of course. But I have long been a proponent of crossing bridges when I come to them, whatever troll may be lurking beneath. And fortunately for me, I can now just beat that troll over the head with these empty champagne bottles I’ve got lying around. See? Sometimes things do work out after all.


*Did I mention my dad is a retired police officer and former administrator of a Stop-DWI program? Yes, well, I wasn’t driving around at all this weekend, so that should count for something. Right, Dad? ... Dad?